Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sicko

A lot of people hate Michael Moore. Why? I’m not sure, maybe it’s because he forces people to see things they don’t want to see, brings ugly truths to light, where most people would be happy leaving them in the shadows. Some say his research is flawed, or false, or fabricated. Well, I have to tell you, if that’s the case, I was fooled by Sicko. This film literally pissed me off. Which I think was Moore’s intention. His point was to fire you up, get you pissed off and hopefully make a difference. Now, do I think everything, every fact, in the film is completely true? No, not at all. I’m not that gullible. But if even half of what Moore presented is true, it should be enough to piss off anyone living in the US. I come from a small family, where until I was 20 years old and got a job that had benefits, I had zero health insurance. My mother couldn’t afford it. She still took me to the doctor when I got sick, but I had no insurance. I was so proud the day I signed up for health insurance with my work. I knew that health insurance companies were shady, but I thought, “Surely they wouldn’t or couldn’t deny me care that would save my life, I have health insurance!” Apparently, I was wrong. Health insurance companies in the US are businesses, and are built and function within a business model, in which the goal is always to make the company money. The only way for Health insurance companies to make money is to collect insurance money, and deny care. Regardless of what Michael Moore says, that fact’s logic is irrefutable. Socialized medicine may not be all candy and roses like Moore portrays, but they are based on being a public service, not a business. That makes all the difference in the world.

In terms of the film’s style, Michael Moore discards the typical “talking heads” documentary style in lieu of a more relaxed, “follow me with a camera, let’s see what we find” kind of style. This style is apparent in all aspects of the film. His rather dark comedic/ironic undertone is apparent in his choice of music, and even his choice of narrating the film himself. Personally I don’t care for him as a narrator, but it adds to the relaxed, personal feel he wants to deliver. Overall his technique was very entertaining, and made a potentially dull topic interesting, fun and at the same time, infuriating to watch. I have to say my favorite part in the film is where Moore walks around Europe, and asks citizens how much they pay for healthcare. They laugh at him. They literally laugh. The thought of being burdened with healthcare costs is laughable to them.

Looking at rottentomatoes.com, where I usually go to find reviews that conflict with my own, I found myself staring at a screen full of positive reviews. Critics called Sicko Moore’s best film to date, evenly funny, moving, and an eye opener. I completely agree. Even if this film went a little overboard at times (did he really need to go to Guantanamo Bay?) it is a film that needed to be seen in America. Michael Moore’s ultimate goal is awareness, to force people to see what they need to see. This film may have had a direct impact on the current presidential campaign as well. The democratic campaigns are both touting what they call “universal healthcare” plans. Now, neither of these plans are universal healthcare in Moore’s definition (he made that publically known recently) but at least it proves that the government has been forced to look at it more closely. I’m trying to be optimistic, but I’m not holding my breath (I hear holding your breath is bad for you, and my medical insurance probably doesn’t cover it ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*-Your personal connection is big and bold in the first paragraph.

*-Your overall summary is great, somebody who's never even heard of the film will get a great idea from this review.

*-Your "something else" is pretty present, it's really cool that you linked to Youtube videos and articles that relate back to the film; I found the article about Moore criticizing Obama and Clinton a pretty good read.

I have to leave out a star because you missed relating it back to Kipnis, which I understand, because it's near impossible to do unless you really dig...and then I'd give you maybe half a star for "other critics", because you linked to rottentomatoes but that wasn't really enough for me to consider it a full usage of other critics. I wish that you had grabbed a specific review to at least quote briefly. Overall this was a great review, and if I were reading this off of rottentomatoes, it would be wonderful, but I had to take those stars away, given the assignment.

Rejepi said...

Personal Connection: yes, right in the intro
Use of Kipnis: no
Use of Other Critics: rottentomatoes.com
Overall Summary: yes
Something else: yes

Great that you brought up current events that might be impacted by this film:
"This film may have had a direct impact on the current presidential campaign as well. The democratic campaigns are both touting what they call “universal healthcare” plans."

3 1/2 stars

Unknown said...

1)*
2)
3)they say/ I say lacked specific reviews/quotes
4)*
5)*

Kierstin N said...

3.5 stars...

I liked your personal story within the review and your opinions on Moore were pretty strong from the start. I also liked the links to the youtube videos and that you talked about trying to find other reviews that differed from your views, and although you didn't use any direct quotations from a specific review, I'm not sure you actually needed to with the way you had things. Otherwise, there was no Kipinis.